Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Brand happiness?


“From an early age, I have been taught that to be accepted, to be loveable, to be cool, one must have the right stuff. At junior school, I tried to make friends with the popular kids, only to be ridiculed for the lack of stripes on my trainers.”

Who would not dream of a life in brand happiness?

I now benefit and agree with the lesson learned as a kid; that I do not need something just because playground rules say a specific brand is required to belong. I even agreed as a kid, as my parents spend time explaining it to me. With parents working in advertising they had all the right tools to convince me that brands where just that, brands.

Am I better off for having learned this lesson at an early age? Maybe, but it took a huge chunk of happiness out of my childhood.

How far should we let our kids stay happily ignorant of the powers of the world?

Read the blog; Bonfire of the Brands

2 Comments:

Blogger jayne d'Arcy said...

I think parents should not bow to brand envy. For one thing, it also shows that people with money are "Supposed" to be more popular than people without. Parents should teach their children that iPods don't make the man.

11:57 pm  
Anonymous Lasse said...

But you don´t just buy an mp3-player when you buy an ipod. You buy an image too, that is what makes brands so popular.

I don't have one. I don't like the image. :-)

4:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home