Thursday, September 08, 2005

I'm not selling anything

But I still advertise daily. I have about 30 seconds to capture your attention, even if you are not visiting via a blog traffic site you are not likely to read on, unless I capture your attention right away.

If I had titled this post "The power of advertising", would you have kept reading? I know I wouldn't.

Don't you just love to hate the stereotypical adverts of cleaning products? Or the stereotypical nappie adverts? Are fathers not a target market for nappies?

According to Cory Noonan there is a reason behind the madness of advertising,
"Sorry about the stereotypes, but I've got 30 seconds to tell a story about an absent-minded scientist. What does an absent-minded scientist look like? Black? Female? 19-years-old? 80? Glasses? Tuxedo?"

I grew up in advertising, with my parents running their own agency from home I was almost fed advertising with my baby milk. So I will buy a product because I like their adverts, but I do it consciosly. I will also stop buying a brand if their advertising goes down hill.

I love a good advert.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mama Mouse said...

I don't know if how good an ad is affects whether or not I buy a product. But I DO know that if that ad is objectionable, in poor taste or just strikes me as wrong or bad I will absolutely refuse to buy that product.

6:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work at night and tape most of the televesion shows that I care to watch, so advertising may have less of an impact - the fast forward button works well.

BUT - here in Canada we have had two campaigns that caught my attention.

Burger King - based on "Night of the Living Dead, except the chickens have taken over.

Milk Marketing Board - the Bovine Phoneline.

Even with these great ads, I never eat at Burger King and two quarts of milk last nearly a month.

9:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home