Monday, April 10, 2006

The price of beef

Would you pay £85 for an extremely fatty beef sandwich? Now you can, at Selfridges. Ok, so it contains foie gras & black truffle mayonnaise, but it is the densely marbled Wagyu beef that drives the price up.

What I find confusing is how it can be;

Food and catering director at Selfridges on Oxford Street, Ewan Venters, said: "Well it is definitely a very healthy, a very hearty sandwich.


As well as contain Wagyu beef with its dense marbling;

The marbling is so dense that the lean muscle to marbling ratio can reach 9:1, or 90% fat to 10% meat.

But then again, like Sushi, I never did claim to understand Japanese foods.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mama Mouse said...

Oh MY! I wouldn't pay that much for ANYTHING I eat! Just think where it ends up! But I must say ... I do like my meat marbled!! I bet its a very GOOD sandwich! Sadly I'll never know ... unless someone wants to buy me one!

7:19 am  
Blogger Mandy said...

I watched that on the news the other night and there's no way on earth I'd pay that for a 5 course meal, let alone a freakin sandwich!

What got me was, the BBC must have paid that, cause they took it out on the street later that day to see what the public thought about it lol

9:23 pm  
Anonymous Lee said...

I can't believe they could charge so much for a sandwich, let alone anyone actually buying it. I would never pay that much for a sandwich.

5:06 pm  
Blogger prying1 said...

Why not just get a tub of lard and a loaf of bread. Much cheaper!

6:57 pm  
Blogger Hannah said...

I wouldn't, but then I'm a veggie...

10:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home